This pie is about as close as it gets to true comfort food in perfect form. Whoever loves the store bought varieties will absolutely lose their mind when they try one of these, homemade with love, freshly baked and warmed from the oven, gooey centred, flaky crusted treats. What is better than a pie that can be made numerous different ways and retain its star quality in every form? Introducing the 3 Mix and Match Pecan Pie Recipe!
Today I will share with you three (3!) versions of this tart in double chocolate, chocolate and plain (if you can call it that!). And as an extra bonus, another delightfully nutty tart – A Maple Walnut Pie! That’s right folks, thats FOUR pies in one blog post!
Oh, I am just spoiling you now… So prepare to make yourself some pie and spoil yourself too!
You know the drill – these delectable tarts call for none other than Pate Bris!
You will need:
Pate Brisse Recipe (Short Crust Pastry)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (175 g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbp white sugar (14 g)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed (113 g)
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup cold ice water (30-60 ml)
How to Make Pate Brisse Recipe
1. Combine flour, salt and sugar in the mixer.
2. Add butter and beat until it forms a thick meal (no more than 15 seconds)
3.Pour 1/8 of the cup in a steady stream until the mixture just holds together when squeezed. Do not process more than 30 seconds. Use the rest of the water only if necessary.
4. Turn out the dough onto your work surface – the “dough” will be very loose. Clump it together into a tight disk, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap. Let it rest in the fridge for atleast an hour, preferably two.
5. Once rested, (approx. 10-15 mins.) roll out dough on a well floured work surface, turning the dough a quarter-turn every roll to prevent it from sticking to your surface. Make sure the dough is about an inch bigger than your pie plate and fold it in half once, and in half again to transfer it to your pie plate.
Unwrap it and gently lift and push down the outer-edge of the dough into the pie shell, making sure not to pull it in from the centre. Let your dough rest again the fridge for about a half hour!
Plain Pecan Pie Filling Recipe
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (215 g)
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tbs rum OR bourbon OR vanilla extract
- 4 tbs unsalted butter (56 g)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cream (60 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 cups pecans, toasted and coarsly chopped (150-200g)
How to Make Plain Pecan Pie Filling Recipe
1. In saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, rum and butter until boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat let cool.
2. In seperate bowl, whisk eggs. When boiled syrup has cooled, beat in eggs, salt and cream.
3. Take the pecans and toast them in the oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes until they start to release a lovely aroma. Take them out of the oven, when cooled, coarsley chop, leaving some whole for decoration.
4. Place pecans in prepared pie/tartlett shells and fill with pecan pieces. Pour syrup over the pecans, making sure not to overflow. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes for a pie, 15-20 minutes for tartlettes.
Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe
Follow this recipe above – adding a step before step 2. Take 2 oz (57 g) of bittersweet chocolate and melt in a stainless steel bowl over boiling water. Beat in with the boiled syrup.
Double Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe
This version uses the Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe variation mentioned above, but also uses a Chocolate Dough as it’s base.
Chocolate Dough Recipe (This recipe is in weight only)
- 1.1 lbs Butter
- 227 g Sugar
- 2 g Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 227 g Bread Flour
- 378 g Pastry Flour
- 85 g Cocoa Powder, Dutch-processed
- 7 g Baking Powder
- 5 ml Vanilla Extract
How to make Chocolate Dough Recipe
1. Cream together butter, sugar and salt on medium speed until light and fluffly. Scrape bowl to ensure evenly mixed.
2. Add eggs, vanilla and mix on lowest speed, scraping down the bowl once more.
3. In a seperate bowl, sift flours, cocoa and baking powder and add to the mixture on low speed.
4. Give one final mix with a spatula before turnough out the dough onto a well floured surface, shaping it and wrapping it into a disk. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for atleast and hour. Roll out the dough to atleast 1/4 inch thickness and fit to pie plate; refridgerate once more before using.
This last pie uses either dough, but the chocolate dough takes it to a different level.
Ingredients Chocolate Maple-Raisin Walnut Pie
- 280 g Brown Sugar
- 10 g Cornstarch (or flour)
- 375 g Maple Syrup (Corn Syrup and a dash of maple flavouring can sub in)
- 45 g Butter, Melted
- 4 Eggs
- 5 ml Vanilla Extract
- 40 g Graham Crumbs
- 200 g Walnut Pieces
- 100 g Raisins
How to Make Chocolate Maple-Raisin Walnut Pie
1. In bowl of mixer, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cornsyrup on medium speed, for 2 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl.
2. Add melted butter and mix on low speed thoroughly.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and scrape down bowl to ensure evenly mixed.
4. Sprinkle graham crumbs on base of chocolate dough shell and arrange walnuts and raisins in shell before pouring syrup mixture over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Hide pie from others.